Olson Engineering serves a wide variety of industries and clientele who need high-quality Nondestructive Testing (NDT) and Geophysical imaging solutions for the purpose of minimizing risks and managing concerns in relation to structures, pavements, foundations, and subsurface features. Our unique combination of utilizing NDT technologies for man-made structures and geophysical imaging of earth materials provides our clients with a single-source contractor capable of meeting their program objectives.
Consulting Services for NDT & Geophysical Investigations
Olson’s NDT services can test, evaluate, image, measure, and scan almost any type of structural or infrastructure element for the purpose of constructing, maintaining, or retrofitting, and offer options for repair when concerns are identified, allowing the risk to be mitigated. Materials that can be evaluated by nondestructive methods include concrete, masonry, wood, asphalt, stone, and pipes.
Olson’s geophysical imaging services are primarily applied to engineering, environmental and ground water problems helping to determine subsurface conditions that are problematic, anomalous or unpredictable, permitting our clients to better design and minimize risk for construction, site investigation, and drilling.
Applications for NDT Methods
- Pavements & Slabs
- Buildings & Structures
- Dams and their appurtenances
- Civil infrastructure
- Characterize earth materials
- Structural health monitoring
Applications for Geophysical Methods
- Unknown foundations
- Contaminated sites
- Karst problems
- Exploration and resource evaluation
The benefits of NDT include complete diagnosis of visible and hidden structural material conditions with minimal or no damage along with lower cost and reduced risk for the public, owners, contractors, and engineers.
Geophysics is a non-invasive approach to image large volumes of earth materials beneath a site in one-, two- or three-dimensions (1D, 2D or 3D), and uses any existing geotechnical data to calibrate (i.e., ‘ground truth’) the results between, below and beyond drill holes.
Both NDT and geophysical testing are highly technical and interdisciplinary; therefore, at Olson Engineering, we have assembled a team of highly-educated and experienced professional engineers and geoscientists that can image and evaluate man-made structures with NDT, and characterize geologic conditions for many applications.
Contact Us to connect with our team of experts concerning your project needs. We are happy to discuss the application of appropriate methods to meet your project objectives. Olson Engineering conducts approximately 200 projects per year domestically and internationally, and we consider no job to be too large or too small.
Nondestructive Testing and Geophysical subsurface imaging allows for many applications
- Assessing the condition of deep foundations and driven piles.
- Characterizing unknown foundation depths and conditions.
- Evaluating the structural integrity of buildings, bridges, and other structures.
- Characterizing reinforcement, conduits, and concrete integrity and thickness for the purpose of retrofitting buildings, bridges, and other structures.
- Assessing the integrity of pavements, slabs-on-grade, and the subgrade materials that support them.
- Investigating the integrity and location of pipes, conduits, tunnels, and mineshafts.
- Characterizing dams and spillways for retrofitting and condition assessment purposes.
- Characterizing the subsurface for large construction and/or environmental projects.
- Characterizing the soil and rock properties for seismic design purposes.
- Monitoring vibrations during pile driving, construction activities near sensitive structures, and during blasting operations.
- Site investigation for the measurement of ambient and operating vibrations for electronics and other vibration sensitive manufacturing.
- Vibration measurement and analysis of rock crushers and other mine equipment.
- Vibration monitoring during rehabilitation activities performed on historic structures.