The Olson Sonic Surface Scanner (S3) is the most technically advanced system for structural condition assessment to date. No other system on the market tests for both top and bottom concrete deck delaminations, while performing over 20,000 Impact Echo (IE) tests in 1 hour.
For decks with additional problems (such as freeze-thaw cracking or alkali-silica reaction cracking damage), Spectral Analysis of Surface Waves (SASW) tests can also be performed simultaneously with Impact Echo tests to provide a comprehensive bridge deck integrity assessment.
Many benefits over traditional chain dragging of bare concrete decks include:
- Highly accurate mapping of top deck steel delaminations to 1 foot or less
- Detects bottom deck rebar delamination in areas without top delamination
- Thickness profiling of sound deck areas
- Complete deck integrity evaluations with combined IE-SASW scanning
- Highly accurate bridge damage maps for repair bids
Olson Engineering developed the Sonic Surface Scanner (S3) based on the Impact Echo (IE) test method, as a result of research funding from the National Cooperative Highway Research Program.
Industrial Building Floors
Top and Bottom Concrete Delaminations
The Sonic Surface Scanner
Structural, Pavement, & Tunnel Methods
Foundation Depth & Integrity Methods
Ground Penetrating Radar